Opening a Food Business in Vietnam involves more conditions than conventional business models. It can be asserted that the food business is a sustainable and stable model over time, less affected by external influences.
This is due to the essential nature of food in daily life. The Vietnamese market has the potential for diverse models, types, and service methods for culinary products to cater to consumers. Establishing a food business has thus become a common and ever-growing need, aligning with the economic development and improved quality of life for a significant portion of the population.
In this article, Warren B aims to provide information on the process, conditions, and procedures for establishing a food business.
Conditions for Opening a Food Business in Vietnam
Currently, the main types of food businesses include street food, catering services, fresh food trading, and processed food trading. Except for street food businesses, all other types require individuals and economic organizations engaging in business activities to possess the following documents:
1. Business registration certificate for the food business sector.
2. Certificate of compliance with food safety and hygiene conditions.
3. Certificate ensuring fire safety and social order.
4. Confirmation of compliance with food safety standards for functional food products (for functional food products).
Additionally, the necessary documents for registering and submitting the application for the establishment of a food business, according to Decree No. 01/2021/NĐ-CP on business registration, include:
1. Application for the establishment of a food business.
2. Articles of incorporation for the food business.
3. List of members and founding shareholders (for joint-stock or limited liability companies with two members or more).
4. Copies of ID cards, citizen cards, or passports of the legal representative, members, and founding shareholders.
5. In cases where the legal representative does not directly submit and receive results, an additional authorization letter for submitting and receiving registration results is required.
Procedures for Obtaining Food Safety Certification
After obtaining the business registration and establishing the food business, the business representative must contact the Food Safety and Hygiene Management Board to obtain a certificate confirming that the establishment meets the necessary conditions for food safety and hygiene. This is a mandatory requirement for businesses intending to introduce their products to the market.
According to the Enterprise Law of 2020, Decree No. 15/2018/NĐ-CP, and Circular No. 43/2018/TT-BCT, the documentation for obtaining a food safety and hygiene certificate includes:
1. Application for the issuance of a food safety and hygiene certificate.
2. Copy of the business registration certificate (including the food business sector registration).
3. Layout design of the production and business premises.
4. Declaration of the conditions of material facilities, tools, and equipment ensuring food safety and hygiene.
5. Confirmation of the business model owner and employees having sufficient health, issued by the district/ provincial health department or higher.
6. Confirmation of the business model owner and employees having sufficient knowledge and skills in food safety and hygiene.
It is important to note that each food business model and category may be inspected and certified by different authorized agencies. The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development issues permits for agricultural and aquatic product businesses, including the process from cultivation to market release. The Ministry of Industry and Trade/Department of Industry and Trade issues permits for businesses producing and trading in alcohol, beer, soft drinks, powder, starch, products from milk, candies, etc. The Food Safety Department under the Ministry of Health issues permits for businesses with the capacity to supply goods for 300 meals/day or more, such as ready-made meals and catering services in institutions like hospitals, industrial parks, export processing zones, and collective kitchens.
The food safety and hygiene certificate is valid for three years, during which the competent authority will conduct re-inspections. If the company fails to meet the regulations on food production and business, the certificate will be immediately revoked.
For more detailed information on the process, document preparation, and procedures for establishing a food business, as well as to learn more about the support process for business clients at Warren B during the company registration, clients can contact the hotline at (+84) 915 704 883.
We sincerely appreciate your attention.